Saturday, January 15, 2011

Excitable


As the kids were growing up, one of the comments we received repeatedly was, “It must be so interesting living at your house.” Trust me; this was rarely issued as a compliment. We were/are loud. Passionate. Argumentative. And definitely, excitable. Yes, there are wildly different and varying personalities within the group, but over all - well, it’s interesting. Just ask my poor daughter-in-law.

Some of this can be delightfully fun. Something wonderful happening in your life? We will party and celebrate with you till the cows come home. Going through a difficult time? We consider it a privilege to walk by your side with empathy. But sometimes, in the midst of all the drama and excitement, details do get overlooked.

In the book of Acts, there is a wonderful story about Peter’s escape from prison. Peter had been arrested by Herod and was surrounded by four squads of soldiers. During the night, an angel came to the prison and brought Peter out of prison. After realizing he was not dreaming but truly had been set free, Peter went to the house where other believers were gathered and praying for him. When Peter knocks, our excitable sister Rhoda comes to the door.

When she recognized Peter’s voice, she was so overjoyed she ran back
without opening it
and exclaimed, “Peter is at the door!” Acts 12:14 (NIV)


“Without opening it.” Boy, can I relate to this girl. Begging God for change in my life or in the lives of others, asking for Him to do what only He can do, but so excited and overjoyed when He moves, I forget to answer the door. Why is that? Am I in shock? Did I have too little faith? Did I doubt God wanted to move in my life? Or am I just aware that what I ask for may not be what I need? Understanding my motives is not something that comes easily.

You will be happy to know that Acts 12 tells us that while Rhoda tried to convince the house that Peter was really there, he continued to knock until the door was opened for him to come in. In my excited moments, I have to remember to continue to open doors. Often, when God moves in my life, He then asks me to follow with choices of obedience.

No matter the motivating behaviors behind my shock, I think being excited and overjoyed can be a positive thing. How often, as adults, do we become so mired down in the struggles of our life that we forget to be excited over the things God is actually doing in our life? Are we so depressed over the difficult realities we are facing that we miss the joys of everyday things?

So how about you? Where are you struggling today to see any excitement in your life? Can we both work to open our eyes just a little wider? Maybe, in the midst of struggle, we have missed seeing the hand of God at work in our lives. When you see what He is doing in your life, get excited, but also remember to open the door. Walking the excitable life, you never know what interesting days God might have in store for you.

No comments: